Gethsemane member and artist Julie Lindstrom explains the inspiration for the design of the new Elements of a Living Faith graphic you see displayed around church and here on our website.
"As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty." Matthew 13: 23
A prayer requesting guidance and inspiration goes up, messages and seeds are planted through the Gospel and sermon from July 13, 2008, as a vision unfolds* and the following seven panels, each depicting an element of a living faith, result. The image can be viewed as a whole or separated into the individual panels for focused discussions.
Remember Your Baptism
Water, a basic necessity in our earthly and spiritual lives — the source of life and cleansing power — runs through all seven panels reminding us of how Christ became linked to us in his baptism, and we become linked with Christ in our baptism.
- Panel one — PRAYER: Our communication with God who responds in ways that nourish us.
- Panel two — WORSHIP: God plants seeds of faith for each of us. The Holy Spirit makes them come alive as we reach out to accept the Word in our hearts. Amazing growth; amazing grace.
- Panel three — STUDYING SCRIPTURE: Matthew 13:23 serves as the foundation for the illustration of a passionate growth with deep roots in God’s Word.
- Panel four — ACTS OF SERVICE AND JUSTICE: A community of Christ bridges the chasm between a variety of differences. The path of service and justice leads us near and far on journeys that call all of God’s children to unite in acts that demonstrate the fruits of the Good News. Love, peace, joy, and grace encircle all and flow through each element.
- Panel five — SHARING GOD’S STORY: Those who grow from the foundation of faith in Christ and His cross scatter seeds of faith themselves by sharing His story.
- Panel six — STEWARDSHIP: Gethsemane’s capital campaign logo or “tree” reappears as a reminder of how we can continue to build joy and excitement in our family in Christ. Stewardship encompasses our whole lives, not just our finances.
- Panel seven — BUILDING SPIRITUAL FRIENDSHIPS: Christ taught us, “Wherever two or more are gathered in my name I will be there.” Through the building of spiritual friendships the Church continues to grow beyond our walls or “tree,” with open hearts and a welcoming invitation to all.
I invite you to engage in a living faith, at home, at work, and in the world.
*Prayer IS answered...I have the bulletin doodles to prove it! Blessings to our Brothers and Sisters in faith.